Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Starbucks + Minnesota Nice

The beauty of working downtown Minneapolis is that there are endless breakfast and lunch choices. The downside of this is the temptation to spend money unnecessarily and more often than usual.
Behold: The wonder that is the Minneapolis Skyway System (in red.)
While at work today, I decided to treat myself to Starbucks. I justified it because I knew I had $11 left on a gift card. So, I stuck my gift card in the back pocket of my jeans, left the rest of my wallet on my desk, and cut through a few skyscrapers to the closest Starbucks. 

I ordered and handed the barista my gift card. She looked at me and told me I owed $2.84. In a small Starbucks full of people, I was totally embarrassed! I apologized profusely and told her to cancel my order; I had left my wallet in my office. She looked at me and with a nod of understanding and said, "That's okay, just keep the drink, sweetheart."

I thanked her, grabbed my white chocolate mocha, and told her I would be back in five minutes to pay. She was certainly surprised to see me a little while later, wallet in hand.

I know it took a long time to get to my point, but this is exactly what I love about Minnesota. Where else would you be given a free drink purely out of the goodness of an employee's heart? Where else would a person not be expected to pay for something, but return to do so? 

My little trip (well, two trips) to Starbucks this morning was just enough to turn my dreary morning bright, and remind me why I love Minnesota so much.

3 comments:

  1. Awww! this makes me miss Minnesota nice. One of my teachers is trying to make me write a paper on Minnesota nice because she cant wrap her head around it ha ha.

    and YAY you started a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad you're reading it :) Isn't it unreal that being nice to strangers is unheard of everywhere else? Although, I guess it can also be called "Minnesota Passivity" but I'm going to give Minnesotans the benefit of the doubt and claim that we're the nicest people in the country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say they are the nicest! People everywhere should try to be like Minnesotans!

    ReplyDelete