Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cinco de Mayo! ...Or banana-chocolate chip muffins

Happy Cinco de Mayo, all! I often crave Mexican food so I started planning an elaborate menu for this evening but got sidetracked by the two spotty, brown bananas on my kitchen counter. I also got a new apron today, which means I am now a legitimate baker, and I had to take it on a test run.
 I like to eat a banana every morning and I like it when they are on the greener side, so we usually end up with quite a few over-ripe bananas which are perfect for baking. These muffins are easy peasy and delicious.
Mashing bananas is not the most appetizing thing you can do.
My BFF in the kitchen
I'm surprised the tins were this full after all the batter I ate (I am a batter eater and
I am not ashamed). See the three boring non-chocolate chip ones on the right for Steve.
I might eat five right away.
Banana-Chocolate Chip Muffins
My notes are in italics

Ingredients:
  • 2 very ripe bananas
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar (As noted in my Cake Batter Pudding Cookies recipe, I almost always use dark brown sugar because I think it adds a richer flavor, but light works, too.)
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2-3 tablespoons milk chocolate chips
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Place 12 liners in muffin tin.
  3. In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork.
  4. Stir in egg, milk, sugar and brown sugar.
  5. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, salt and baking soda.
  6. Slowly add flour mixture to banana mixture and stir until well combined.
  7. Fold in chocolate chips.
  8. Spoon batter into muffin tin.
  9. Bake 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Happy eating!
-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment