Saturday, June 9, 2012

Gnocchi with Brown Butter Sauce

A few months ago, I attempted to make homemade gnocchi. Let's just say it was not as successful as I had hoped it would be. I'm not the world's most patient person (those of you who know me well just laughed at that statement) so as it got later and later, and the gnocchi was still not done, my enjoyment of cooking decreased and my irritability increased. We finally ate at about 9 p.m. and my very kind husband and mother each ate a huge portion, which was actually fairly edible thanks to the brown butter sauce and sausage it was paired with.

I attempted this dish again and it turned out much better, thanks to the store bought Archer Farms gnocchi! I promise to someday attempt, and perfect, homemade gnocchi but my first go at it proved that the right time is not when I've had a long day at work, I'm tired and I'm starving. I love making things from scratch but I've learned that it's OK to use the shortcuts every once in a while, giving me more time to perfect the rest of the dish and the fresh bruschetta I paired with it.

Check out the recipe below, which comes from a Martha Stewart magazine from way back. It has a lot of steps but once you take a whiff of the onions as they caramelize, or the butter as it browns, it's all worth it. Bruschetta is kind of a no-brainer but I'll share my recipe in a separate post.


The feast.
Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
  • 1/2 lb spicy sausage
  • 1 package store-bought gnocchi, or homemade if you're brave
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon parsley (I used dried but if you have fresh use about 1/2 cup)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
 Directions:
  1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally until caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add sugar and red wine vinegar; cook until vinegar is completely evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes more.
  2. Add sausage to skillet, along with onions, using a spatula to help break sausage up into small pieces as it browns. Cook, stirring, until sausage is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Keep warm until ready to serve.
  3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter and cook until melted; continue cooking until butter becomes lightly browned and fragrant, taking care not to let it burn, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in parsley. Turn burner to low and keep warm until gnocchi is done.
  4. Add gnocchi to a pot of boiling water. When gnocchi begins to float to the top, let cook 2 minutes more. Using a slotted spoon, transfer gnocchi to skillet with brown butter; toss to coat and season with salt and pepper.
  5. Pour gnocchi into a large serving bowl. Top with sausage mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.

    Happy eating!
    Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment